Wednesday, September 8, 2010

EOC Chapter 8 Discussion Questions


1. Consumers feel a very close attachment to their bags. This is mainly due to the fact that bags are often seen as a status symbol or expansion of their personality. A consumer spends lots of time looking for and choosing the right bag. Many women view bags as an investment and see no problem in spending between $650 and $1500 on a bag. Most women carry their bag around everywhere so they want it to be representative of themselves.

2. My current favorite brand of bag is Lucky Brand. Lucky Brand makes bags that are very representative of my personality and style. My most recent Lucky Brand bag is dark brown suede with a large studded peace sign off-centered to the right. This is very reflective of my style because I have a very bohemian style. Lucky Brand puts special features into their bags such as cloverleaf interiors, hidden pockets and well-made, durable construction. As my income increases while I get older, I will definitely switch to a new brand of bags. I really like Etro and Bottega Veneta bags but can not currently afford them.

3. By visiting the website, it is easy to see that the Dante Beatrix company has evolved in a few different ways since this chapter was written. For example, the company seems to label itself just as “Beatrix” as opposed to the original “Dante Beatrix.” The website shows several celebrities with Beatrix bags not for themselves but for their children. Beatrix seems to have become more of a children’s brand than a women’s. The focus of the brand has clearly become children’s backpacks, lunch boxes and wheelie bags. Few adult bags are pictured. The line reflects current fashion by being eco-friendly. In today’s fashion world, Eco-friendly lines are very popular and on the rise. By creating eco-friendly bags, Beatrix is really reaching out to the fashionable and green consumer.

4. Dante Beatrix is so successful with the company’s ideas to pursue graphic design instead of just focusing on bag design because it had not been done. There are backpacks for kids everywhere but there are not many with such fun designs and the quality of a Beatrix bag. Celebrities and wealthy people have to dress and accessorize their kids and want to do so with style. Beatrix provided an answer. Branding is not what drives ME to purchase a bag but for a lot of people, it is. This is why such a rise in counterfeit bags has occurred. My personal current bag is not designer label. It is made by a company called “The Sak” and was found at Dillard’s. I only spent $80 on it and I love it. The bag is very reflective of my style. This particular bag has black straps, a front and back exterior pocket, a zipper pocket on the back interior and two smaller pockets in the front interior. The interior lining is a red-orange and the bag is large enough to carry everything that I like to carry. The exterior is white and filled with tree branches, birds and clouds with words such as “Peace” and “Happy & Free” in them. This bag represents me and my state of mind, despite its low cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment