Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Final Project Step 2


Who Am I Aiming These Clothes At?

“… For their garments to achieve prominence, retailers and manufacturers had to adopt various methods of promotion targeting specific types of clientele.”[1]

The clothes for my label are aimed at women ages 20-40. Women at these ages all feel the need to feel comfortable while also feeling stylish and sexy. Whether soccer moms, women working out or college students, all women in this age market have a need to be comfortable. It is always nice to feel comfortable and look cute, even if it's just exercising, lounging around or cleaning the house.

“Dolce & Gabbana’s branding story is about taking the nontraditional fashion consumer and demonstrating how they can be stylish and sophisticated in their own way.”[2]

Something like D&G, my label will show women who may not feel pretty in their loungewear that they can find loungewear that will. The lounge/sleepwear of my label is not only comfortable but also sexy and current. Instead of big, droopy t-shirts, my label will offer women better things to wear when running errands, going to the gym, etc, bringing style and sophistication into their apparel.

“He believed that by dressing in a particular style, he would be iconic in the manufacturing business.”[3]

I, kind of like Ralph Lauren, would dress very trendy and fashion-forward so that my customers would feel they can be fashion-forward when going out and working but they can be cute and comfortable when they are at home or on the go. By dressing fashionably, customers even with the best fashion sense could feel they connect with the clothing and the brand.

“She designed one herself and since then has redefined the concept of wedding dresses and the entire ceremonial package.”[4]

Like Vera Wang, my product idea came from a market that I wish was more available. A lot of the clothes at my brand will be designed for me and what I would like. However, I think that the loungewear market needs more attention and should be a great addition in the retail market.

“… Wang’s clients started to ask her to plan their weddings or to recommend certain types of accountrements for the event. So she started designing hard lines, among other things.”[5]

My brand has potential to go further than just loungewear. With some workout apparel incorporated with my collection, my brand could eventually sell tennis shoes as well as hook up personal trainers, yoga classes, pilates classes, gyms, etc. with those customers looking for one. Also, while selling loungewear, slippers are a possibility.


[1] Brand/Story. Joseph Hancock. Chapter 2. Page 13.

[2] Brand/Story. Joseph Hancock. Chapter 4. Page 53.

[3] Brand/Story. Joseph Hancock. Chapter 3. Page 37

[4] Brand/Story. Joseph Hancock. Chapter 5. Page 74.

[5] Brand/Story. Joseph Hancock. Chapter 5. Page 78.

No comments:

Post a Comment